Active travel is getting from A to B using our own person power – be that
pedalling a cycle, wheeling a chair, pushing a scooter or simply putting one foot in front of the other. It gets us from home to school/the shops/ the gym/ the railway station … and back. It keeps us fit and it keeps our environment fit – free from air pollution, congestion and carbon emissions.
- Dress for the weather:
- waterproof shoes/ boots;
- waterproof over trousers and jacket
- sunhat/ beanie/ helmet
- gloves, scarf
- comfortable shoes
- something reflective for after dusk
- Maintain your wheels
- keep tyres fully pumped
- get a puncture repair kit
- clean and oil chain and gears regularly
- check and adjust/ replace brake blocks
- boom a regular 4-6 monthly service
- invest in a extra strong bike lock
- use bike lights from and back
- Carrying things – eg shopping
- Fit your cycle with panniers or a basket
- find a basket that is comfy to lift and hold
- try a pull along basket/ trolley
- use a back pack to spread the load more evenly
- Route planning
- Find local cycle routes where you feel safe with other traffic.
- Cycle with a friend if initially you lack confidence
- Choose a route that you will enjoy walking/cycling.
- Find out where there are short cuts for when you in a hurry
- Work out how long your active journey will take and leave in good time.
- Make active travel a habit
There is never such a thing as too much cake, only not enough active travel!